Fall is in the air. I’m a little disappointed to see my beloved scorching heat go, but the idea of fall – and the apples, pears, cinnamon, pumpkins and everything else that goes with it – is starting to grow on me.
- Beans – cooking with bacon and potatoes for a side with pork chops
- Sweet Peppers – Sweet and smoky corn salsa
- Carrots – Roasted with thyme
- Water melon – You should have seen gorgeous yellow fleshed melon. One of the sweetest I have ever eaten.
- Corn – Sweet and smoky corn salsa – will post recipe soon
- Pears – Eating for snacks, hoping for some more cool nights to eat these with stilton and port.
- Plums – Eating, making another plum cake from Hayday Market cookbook – it was delicious! will post recipe soon.
CSA? Is it really you!!? I’m so thrilled to see you again!!
After being in North Carolina for two weeks of pickups (thanks to lovely friends and neighbors for covering for me) I finally got to go back and pick up my CSA again.
- Tomatoes – Chopping for taco salad
- Hot Peppers – Chopping for taco salad and including in beans and rice
- Parsnips – Roasted with thyme
- Melon – Eat with mint from my garden
- Corn – On the cob for kids, included in cornbread, corn salsa
- Peaches – Eating, freezing
- Plums – Eating, making a plum cake from the Hayday Market Cookbook – will let you know how it turns out.
I can’t believe that July is already gone! Hello August. And hello to big quantities of fruit in the freezer for those cold fall days when I am sad for summer.
- Corn – I’ll let the kids eat two of these off the cob, then use the other two for corn chowder
- Onions – Pantry!
- Cucumber – Side dish of cucmber salad
- Summer squash – Adding this to some linguine for dinner
- Zukes – Making two loaves of bread with this, to slice and freeze for future breakfasts
- Peaches – Freeze for smoothies or pies
- Plums – These are so sweet and delicious. I’ll be snacking on them all week. I wish I had more time, I’d make some kind of fancy tart with them.