This is such a delicious way to use up the last of your summer corn. You can put in anything else that you have in your kitchen. Some green onions or bacon would make a nice addition. It’s good with tortilla chips or over a veggie burger.
Sweet and Smoky Corn Salsa
- Corn from 3 ears, cooked and cut off the cob
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 sweet bell peppers (mine were orange), seeded and diced
- Chipotle tobasco, to taste (I like many many many dashes in mine)
Mix all and refrigerate for 1 hour or more.
I love to make beans that sit in the crock pot all day getting flavor love from a giant ham hock. Unfortunately, that takes planning, something I seem to be lacking in a bit lately. I came up with this substitute yesterday at 5pm after I realized my hubs had requested beans and rice for dinner, and I had failed to produce any as of yet. Luckily it was a hit.
15 Minute Beans and Rice
- 1 slice bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 C cooked brown rice (I had some left over from the day before. If you have to cook the rice from scratch it would be more like 40 minute rice and beans. With white rice, 20 minutes)
- Chipotle tobasco, to taste
Saute your bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is cooked and onion is soft. Add beans, and 1/4 – 1/2 cup water. Boil for 5 minutes, until some of the water cooks out. Add rice and chipotle. Stir to heat through and serve.