This streak of nice weather we’re having makes me crave “grilling out” food, like stuff you eat when you’re sitting out in the back yard while you’re waiting for hubs to finish grilling your burger. This recipe is based on one such salad that we made a lot last summer. I’ve changed it a bit to accommodate what I had in the house and made it a bit simpler.
Spicy Black Eyed Pea Salad
- 1 can black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (after chopping, put it in a strainer and rinse it with some cold water – keeps it from being overpoweringly “oniony”)
- 1 C corn (fresh would be good, just cook it and cut it off the cob – but I had some in my freezer from last summer so I used that)
- 3 T vinegar (apple cider vinegar is nice in this)
- 3 T oil
- 1 t Cajun seasoning (I like Penzey’s), more or less to taste
- 1 t honey
- 1/2 t salt, more to taste
Combine peas, corn, onions, and jalapenos in a bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, cajun seasoning, honey, and salt to make a dressing. Pour the dressing over the veggies and mix well. Let it sit in the fridge for at least 3 hours before serving. Overnight is even better.
You can eat this like a regular salad, but it’s also good as a salsa, with tortilla chips to dip in.