I go through phases of food that we eat a lot, and this month, that seems to be beans and rice. It is something that both hubs and I really enjoy, and I can make a big pot of it since it’s so good reheated the next day. I made this version on Sunday when I opened the pantry to find none of the pintos I would normally use, but instead a can of coconut milk and another of black beans calling to me.
Caribbean style beans and rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup brown rice (you can use white, but the cooking time will be much less)
- 3 slices of bacon, sliced crosswise into thin strips
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Sriracha hot sauce, to taste
- Salt, to taste
Combine rice and coconut milk in a sauce pan with a tight fitting lid. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 40-50 minutes, until rice is tender. Brown bacon and garlic in a separate pan, add to rice, along with black beans, hot sauce, and salt. Add about 1/2 C water and simmer all for 15 minutes. Serve with more hot sauce.