I did my first olive oil tasting* yesterday. These are my five takeaways:
1. Even children who hate 99% of the food on earth (aka mine) love tasting olive oil.
2. There is a huge difference between a lighter oil and a more intense one. This does not make it easier to choose a favorite.
3. Flavored oils can be used to make food that feels fancy and different, but only takes about 5 minutes to make. And it tastes awesome.
For example, chopped olives with garlic oil, which is perfect on toast,
fresh mozzarella with red hot chili oil,
and strawberries with orange olive oil and chopped mint.
4. Hungry two year olds can put away a LOT of orange oil strawberries, but will pick out all of the mint.
5. The hand print of an orange oil strawberry loving two year old can be removed from white shorts with a couple sprays of oxy-clean.
*Want to have an olive oil tasting at your house? Let me know in the comments and I’ll send you the info.